13 things to give up for Lent
In Lent we consider making a change in our life. In Romans, Chapter 8, Paul sees the points where each of us could change. His words lead us to the Cross and Christ’s resurrection. This is a list of 13 different things you might consider giving up for Lent.
1. Guilt – I am giving up my guilt of what I have done and what I have failed to do. I am loved by Jesus & forgiven of my sins & today is a new day. My past is behind me and I am free to live for Christ.
Romans 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.
2. Fear – God is on my side! I am giving up fearing what others will say or think. I will make my actions reflect God’s will and not my own. I will strive to do what is right in God’s eyes.
Romans 8:37-39 In all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
3. Need to Please Everyone – I can’t please everyone all the time. I am giving up my need to please everyone. There is really only one person I need to strive to please and that is God, my Heavenly Father.
Romans 8:3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh
4. Envy – I am giving up comparing myself to others and what they have. I am so blessed and I know that my value is not found in my earthly possessions or my abilities but in my value found in my relationship with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and His saving work for me.
Romans 8:4 In order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.
5.Impatience – I am giving up fretting over what is going to happen next. I know that God’s timing is the perfect timing and I must wait on Him even when I think I can’t wait any longer.
Romans 8:19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.
6. Sense of entitlement – I am giving up my sense of entitlement – God does not owe me anything and this world does not owe me anything, so I come before Him humble ready to receive His grace.
Romans 8:22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved.
7. Bitterness and resentment – I am giving up feeling bitter towards those who have hurt me. The only person I am hurting by holding on to these feelings is myself.
Romans 8:18 18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God
8. Blame – I am giving up passing the buck. I am going to take responsibility for my own actions. I will admit my mistakes and ask for forgiveness from those affected so I can move on.
Romans 8:31What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?33 Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.
9. Gossip and Negativity – I am giving up talking badly of others. Gossip results in nothing but pain. I will put the best construction on all things when it comes to others. I will limit my contact with others who seek to bear false witness and bring others down.
Romans 8:27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
10. Fear of failure – I am giving up my fear of failure. Success does not come without mistakes. We are all going to fail on the path to success. When I fall, I am now going fall forward, towards success instead of backwards towards my fear.
Romans 8:14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
11. Feelings of Unworthiness – I am giving up the discussion in my head of not being worthy of God’s grace because of my sins and failures. I am fearfully and wonderfully made by my creator and I am special to Him.
Romans8:9 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. 10 But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
12. Doubt -I am giving up my doubt of God’s love. “Lord I believe, help me in my unbelief!” I believe that God has a plan for my life beyond anything that I could possibly imagine. The future is brighter that I could ever realize.
Romans 8:25But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. 26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
13 Anger & Hate – I am giving up my disappointment in others who have not lived as they should. I am seeking to love as I should. Love those I don’t understand. Love people in spite of their failures. I will love people where they are at right now and not wait until they change. I will Love my friends and neighbors as well as my enemies simple because Christ loves me while I am still a sinner and failed Him.
Romans 8:35-37 Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the daylong; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.